Learn more about the science of UV and power of Violet Defense disinfection systems
Available for download
Violet Defense Guide to UV.pdf
Violet Defense Brochure.pdf
2020 Violet Defense SAGE UV Spec Sheets.pdf
Clinical validation summary.pdf
Find additional resources at these websites:
Enter your email to download resources.
Understanding the power of light to kill germs
It has been over 140 years since Downes & Blunt discovered the antibacterial effects of sunlight. They determined that shorter wavelengths of the solar spectrum were more effective at neutralizing bacteria. It is now known that there are germicidal effects of UV-C, UV-B, UV-A and violet blue light. Violet Defense's technology builds on this research and brings a new patented approach that enables UV and violet blue light to be even more effective and adaptable to every day uses. Learn more about the history of light.
Key Benefits of Using Light
- No chemicals
- Kills rapidly - starting within seconds
- Microbial cells cannot develop resistance to this technology
- Proven ability to be able to deploy it safely to kill bacteria, mold, fungi, and even viruses
Germ-Killing Light Targets the DNA & RNA of Microbes
DNA & RNA is the genetic material that makes up all living organisms, controlling their growth, development, functioning and reproduction. UV light produces electromagnetic energy that can destroy the ability of microorganisms to reproduce and cause inactivation of microbes by causing mutations and/or cell death.
UV light produces electromagnetic energy that can destroy the ability of microorganisms to reproduce and by causing photo-chemical reactions in nucleic acids (DNA & RNA). The ultraviolet energy triggers the formation of specific thymine or cytosine dimers in DNA and uracil dimers in RNA, which causes inactivation of microbes by causing mutations and/or cell death and failure to reproduce.
Broad Spectrum of UV Light Optimizes Effects
Violet Defense Technology represents a significant breakthrough in germicidal protection for the world and is protected by an extensive US and international patent portfolio. Products powered by Violet Defense technology use a powerful, broad spectrum light, including germicidal UV-C, UV-B, UV-A, and violet blue that optimize their germ-killing efficiency.
- UV-C (200-280 nm) is most traditionally referred to as germicidal UV with ability to kill bacteria, viruses, mold, and fungi.
- While UV-C is most traditionally referred to as germicidal UV, UV-B wavelengths have also demonstrated effectiveness against certain bacteria.
- UV-A (320-400 nm) and UV-B (280-320nm) light causes oxidation of proteins and lipids causing cell death.
- Broad band UV lamps have also been shown to inhibit photo-reactivation, the process that can result in self-repair of damaged microbes.
Anti-Bacterial Properties of Violet-Blue Light
- Blue light in the 405 nm to 470 nm wavelengths has been shown to be able to have up to 100% bacterial suppression over the proper intervals.
- The blue light causes photoexcitation of endogenous porphyrins that leads to the generation of reactive oxygen species, which are toxic to bacterial cells.
By combining these wavelengths, Violet Defense’s technology maximizes the dosage of the germ-killing light delivered. To learn more about the effectiveness of UV light, explore environmental and infection control studies in our research compendium.
A New Technological Approach
A key difference with Violet Defense’s technology is the ability to seamlessly integrate an effective UV system into everyday products, making them self-sanitizing. The scientific principles to accomplish this are deeply rooted in optical and quantum physics, but our technology also required a mastery of chemistry, biology, bio-medicine, electrical and mechanical engineering, as well as computer engineering.
After significant research, development and validation, the appropriate combination of technologies and materials have been identified and are now ready to easily integrate into existing products to make disinfection easy. The breakthrough produced a technology that effectively kills bacteria and viruses in the air and on surrounding surfaces.
Violet Defense Technology represents a significant breakthrough in germicidal protection for the world and is protected by an extensive US and international patent portfolio.
Are you ready to perform?
Learn how UV disinfection can help your sports organization perform with confidence.